Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Goodbye 2012!

 This past year has been a year described by change.

I did the scariest thing I have probably ever done in my whole life, move to New York City alone, by hopping on an overnight bus from Detroit with 2 bags in my hand, to begin intensive teacher training where a teaching position at the end was not 100% guaranteed. I had no friends (or family) in New York, but I went and did it anyway. Whew. And now here I am with my first 'real' job, successfully adjusted to life in New York, working with beautiful children, and very excited for the new year. I surprise myself. What a big change.

In fact these past two years have been full of change, graduating college, joining Lutheran Volunteer Corps, moving to NYC, that I'm actually quite used to change. In fact, in a weird way I think I thrive off of change. Not to mention one of the things I love about New York is that it is always constantly changing. You truly never know what is going to happen whether its in the classroom or on the subway. Because of all this recent change, I can't help but think this next year is going to be particularly mellow and "unexciting" compared to the others, and that actually quite terrifies me. Ironically it will be another "change" one I'm not sure I'm ready for, but one I probably need. But, I shouldn't be too concerned, I do have a few trips planned this year, one out of country, so that will be something exciting to look forward too.

SO I suppose you could say I have mixed feelings about this next year coming up, but I continue to look forward to teaching. I really love my seniors I'm working with and I think its going to be really hard for me to say goodbye to them when we send them on their way. They only have 6 more months as some of them pointed out to me today.

Anyway, maybe this weekend I'll post about my New Years Eve in the city as it doesn't really fit well into this post.

 Until Next Time,

Amanda




1 comment: