Thursday, April 19, 2012

Spring Lutheran Volunteer Corps Retreat!

Hi Everybody! 

I'm heading over to the west side of Michigan for our Spring LVC retreat! I'm super pumped to not only see people close to my age, but to mingle with other volunteers that I have not seen since October! This retreat is for the "Great Lakes Region," which means volunteers from Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Port Huron will be there! I'm very excited to exchange stories and especially excited to hear from some of the volunteers working in inner city schools in Chicago. At the last retreat I barely spent any time with my housemates as I floated around with other volunteers. We are all such a fun group and I've been looking forward to this weekend for what seems like forever. 


Lauren and I started our 4.5 hour trek to the 'west coast' of Michigan earlier this morning. We will be staying at Camp Henry again and this time will have the opportunity to canoe. YES! Aside from these fun recreational activities we will also be spending time reflecting on LVCs values of intentional community, social justice, and living simply and sustainability. I imagine we will spend some more time specifically focusing on our anti-racism training as we were asked to read a White Supremacy and Culture article, which focused on white culture.

In any case, I am looking forward to a weekend full of reflection and memory making. 

I hope all of you have a great weekend too!  


1 comment:

  1. Have a great weekend! Will you be blogging about your retreat when you return?

    ReplyDelete